The demand for nourishing food that’s safe to consume is constantly rising. Consumers are increasingly concerned that products they buy are free of contaminants or specific allergens, making it essential for food production companies to adhere to stringent quality control standards.
The quality of the food you produce is intrinsically tied to your brand’s reputation, and in the age of social media and online reviews, it can be a long road to recover from a damaged reputation. It’s more important than ever to ensure your food manufacturing processes are optimized to prevent contaminants from spreading.
In this article, we’ll take a look at a few strategies you can use to prevent contamination in food manufacturing as well as how speech-powered AI technology can help you implement those strategies quickly and efficiently.
Implement Robust Quality Assurance Systems
There are a number of quality assurance systems food manufacturers should rely on to prevent contamination in their products. By implementing and consistently updating these processes, you can ensure that the quality of your food remains high. Here are a few common quality control systems:
Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP)
HACCP is a system that’s meant to prevent potential hazards through identification, evaluation, and highlighting critical control points. It helps you see where in your manufacturing process there might be a risk of contamination so that you can monitor them and establish preventative measures.
Sanitation Standard Operating Procedures (SSOP)
SSOP offers detailed guidelines for equipment cleaning to help ensure your facility is properly sanitized in order to prevent cross-contamination and microbial growth.
Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)
The GMP procedures outline best practices for handling, storing, and manufacturing food items. There are guidelines for facility design and maintenance, hygiene, as well as employee training that help you prevent contamination.
Allergen control programs
You should have a program in place to prevent cross-contamination of common allergens, including labeling food products and ingredients, segregation ingredients containing allergens, and dedicating specific equipment for handling foods containing allergens.
Implementing robust and ongoing employee training is one of the most effective ways of keeping everyone on the manufacturing floor aware of what to look out for when it comes to potential contamination risks. When each employee understands their role in food safety, it’ll be easier to keep a facility risk-free.
Supplier quality management
Food safety starts with safe ingredients, so make sure you have a quality assurance system in place to check the safety of the raw materials you receive from supplies. This can include regular audits and quality checks of ingredients before they’re used in manufacturing.
Improving Quality Assurance Measures with AI
Food manufacturers can harness the power of AI to enhance their quality assurance systems, putting less of the onus on employees and automating certain procedures to ensure regular inspections. Unlike humans, AI has the ability to quickly and meticulously identify patterns and process vast amounts of data, leading to more efficient quality control and cutting down opportunities for contamination. Here are some specific ways manufacturing companies can use AI in various quality assurance programs:
- Real-time monitoring: AI devices can be used to monitor facility or storage specifics, such as temperature and humidity to ensure spoilage or contamination are avoided.
- Supplier evaluation: Manufacturers can use AI to help analyze data on raw materials received from suppliers, reducing the risk of contamination.
- Compliance: By continuously monitoring processes and records, AI can help ensure a facility is in line with compliance and regulation requirements.
- Shelf life prediction: Optimize storage by leveraging AI to help analyze factors that affect shelf life, such as packaging, storage conditions, ingredients, or transportation.
- Automated inspection: AI-powered systems can automate otherwise cumbersome food inspection processes to ensure the consistency and accuracy of assessments.
Ensure Quality Through Speech with aiOla
aiOla’s AI-powered speech capture technology combines natural language understanding (NLU) and automatic speech recognition (ASR) to turn speech into data and efficient production line operations. In the food manufacturing industry, aiOla’s speech-driven technology can help companies save valuable time on inspections simply through the power of voice without having a significant impact on existing workflows. With aiOla, food manufacturers can:
- Cut down on manual inspection processes, freeing up time for employees to focus on other tasks
- Gather data through speech that’s otherwise lost, helping improve work processes
- Reduce the rate of human-error, making inspections more efficient and lowering the possibilities of cross-contamination
- Receive real-time alerts for faulty equipment or problem areas, enabling prompt action to maintain operational integrity
- Ensure ingredients in the manufacturing process and products received by suppliers are up-to-spec by conducting quick and effective inspections through speech
- Monitor facility machinery, stored products on the shelf, or ingredients quickly using only speech to allow for more frequent and more accurate inspections
aiOla’s technology allows supervisors to utilize speech technology to conduct efficient daily inspections. Before commencing manufacturing operations each day, it is crucial to inspect each machine’s condition to identify any malfunctions or maintenance needs, as well as ensure cleanliness and sanitation for smooth and safe operations. The implementation of speech technology significantly enhances efficiency, streamlining operations while identifying any malfunctions or maintenance needs in real-time. Businesses are also able to streamline packaging, quality control, and inventory management, leading to faster operations, improved accuracy, and data driven decision-making, ensuring customer satisfaction and competitiveness.
aiOla’s technology understand over 100 languages and can decipher voice in any accent or industry jargon, in any acoustic environment, meaning even the noise of a loud manufacturing floor won’t interrupt the flow of data collection. Finally, as aiOla harnesses the power of human speech, there’s virtually no learning curve required for your employees, meaning they can continue working as normal while empowering them to complete tasks entirely hands-free, leading to a safer work environment.
Better Data Leads to Better Quality
Quality assurance is a critical part of food manufacturing, one that cannot be overlooked. However, the quality of your products depends a lot on the quality of the data you’re gathering from your facility’s floor. Without proper data to alert you to possible machinery malfunctions, temperature changes, or a shift in the quality of ingredients from a supplier, it’s difficult to prevent risks such as bacterial spread or contamination.
With aiOla, you don’t need to worry about staying on top of inspections as the technology dramatically cuts down on the time you spend verifying compliance. By optimizing operations through speech, you can ensure that your employees have all the tools they need to efficiently and accurately implement multiple quality assurance systems.
Schedule a demo with one of our experts and let us show you how aiOla can help empower your business through voice